The building was consecrated around the middle of the 11th c. It belonged to the Cassinese order of Benedictines, then to the Olivetan and Camaldolese orders. The lower part of the façade has stylistic features going back to the 11th c. The main door is flanked by four blind arches resting on columns crowned by Corinthian capitals. On the wall there are small ledges with representation of animals and plants. Above can be seen traces of the original façade. The interior, whose construction was begun in the early 16th c. is rich in works of art. On the internal wall of the façade is the organ decorated by Antonio and Giovanni B. Maffei (1580-85) . In the chapels can be seen paintings by Virgilio Nucci (“St. Sebastian”, 2nd altar on the left), Francesco Allegrini (“St. Michael”, 3rd altar on the left), Raffaellino del Colle (“Nativity”, “Stories of Ss. Placid and Maurus”, 1540, 5th altar on the right), Rutilio Manetti (“Martyrdom of St. Bartholomew”, 1st altar on the right). In the transept, on the right the “Transito di S. Romualdo” (“The Passing of St. Romuald”) by Agostino Tofanelli, on the left a “Cristo deposto” (“Christ taken down from the Cross”), in wood, of the 13th c. The high altar is the work of Domenico Valli (1710) of Gubbio; the choir organ was built in 1689.